FORENSIC LABORATORY SPECIALIST II
Controlled Substances Section
Hourly Rate: $12.36 – $32.06 (Expected hiring rate is in the bottom third of the range)
PART TIME, MAXIMUM OF 29 HOURS PER WEEK ON AVERAGE OF A 12 MONTH PERIOD
The Department of Forensic Science is seeking a qualified applicant to work part-time assisting the Controlled Substances section in the Central Laboratory by performing routine maintenance and minor repair of laboratory equipment; preparing reagents; maintaining inventory of reagents, supplies, and materials; performing and documenting QA procedures; and handling routine laboratory maintenance duties such as cleaning glassware and waste disposal. Position will receive, document, transfer and maintain a secure chain of custody on evidence in order to ensure the evidentiary value is preserved and intact.
- High school diploma or GED with courses in math and science
- Experience working in a scientific laboratory environment performing qualitative and quantitative analyses, preparing solutions and reagents, and operating and maintaining laboratory instruments to include the maintenance and use of an analytical balance
- Oral and written communications skills
- Valid driver’s license and/or other means of reliable transportation
- College degree in chemistry or a related scientific field
- Work experience in an accredited forensic science laboratory
Selected candidate must provide a DNA sample via a buccal swab (saliva sample), be fingerprinted, drug tested and pass a background security check
Applicants must apply electronically using the State of Virginia’s Recruitment Management System (RMS) by December 21, 2017. The RMS can be accessed using the link: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. Contact Jennifer Cooke at (804)588-4008 for assistance.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER