Forensic Scientist- Toxicology Section
Position # CF801
Salary: $52,676 – $92,529
Location: Roanoke, VA
The Virginia Department of Forensic Science is seeking a qualified applicant to perform toxicology analyses at the Western Laboratory located in Roanoke, VA. The successful candidate will independently perform chemical analyses of human fluids and tissues in death and criminal investigations using chemical and instrumental methodologies, prepare Certificates of Analyses on findings for use in the criminal justice system, and provide court testimony on analytical results. Occasional overnight travel is required and employee will provide own transportation as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or a related field with coursework in general, organic and analytical chemistry
- Experience handling human biological samples
- Work experience in a forensic toxicology laboratory that includes successful completion of a documented training program and/or demonstration of competency
- Knowledge of the theoretical principles and applications of instrumentation and methodologies used to analyze toxicological samples
- Experience using basic laboratory equipment and analytical instrumentation (i.e., immunoassay, HPLC, GC/MS, GC/FID and GC/NPD)
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and work efficiently, keep accurate records, accurately analyze, interpret data and develop conclusions
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and defend scientific findings in court
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and quality assurance/quality control procedures
- Valid driver’s license and/or other means of reliable transportation
- Advanced degree in related field
- Experience using advanced laboratory equipment/instrumentation such as LC/MS/MS, LC-QTOF-MS
- Experience presenting testimony in a court of law as an expert witness
- Certification by a national forensic toxicology certification board, such as, American Board of Forensic Toxicology (ABFT)
If a fully qualified Forensic Scientist candidate cannot be found, the position will be filled as a Forensic Scientist Trainee at a salary of $44,472. The training will last approximately 9 to 12 months, dependent upon the qualifications of the successful candidate. The Trainee must meet the degree and course qualifications listed above. Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience in a Toxicology laboratory environment
- Experience in an accredited laboratory (working and/or internship)
If you are a current Commonwealth of Virginia employee, this position requires a new 12- month probationary period be served.
Selected candidate(s) must successfully pass a background investigation to include a fingerprint-based criminal history check. Selected candidate(s) must provide a DNA sample via a buccal swab (saliva sample) and successfully pass a drug test. Reference checks will be conducted to include contact with current/previous supervisors.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
DFS will record information from each new employee’s Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) into the Federal E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization.
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx, or call DARS at 800- 552-5019.
Applicants must apply electronically using the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Recruitment Management System (RMS) by August 2, 2022. The RMS can be accessed using the link: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. Contact Markeisha Lewis at (804)588-4008 for assistance.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER